Deputy General Counsel
Who We Are
StreetShares is a transformative start-up in the Washington, DC metro area, bringing honesty, transparency, community, and affinity to small business lending. The Company focuses on funding Veteran small businesses and offers term loans, lines of credit, and contract financing products to Veteran and main street businesses alike. The Company also offers investment products to accredited and retail investors and was the first company qualified to offer Regulation A+ securities to retail investors investing in small business loans.
The Deputy General Counsel will work across all functions of the business, providing legal advice to support the Company's business objectives and goals. The role will report directly to StreetShares' General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer and will work with team leads in marketing, credit, finance, product development, and investor relations.
What You Can Expect To Do:
- Contracts. Who knew start-ups have this many contracts to put in place?
- Research, track, monitor, and provide advice on the legal requirements for each state’s lending, licensing, and usury laws
- Collaborate on the Company’s securities filings and manage legal requirements around Regulation A+ securities
- Review marketing collateral for compliance with applicable laws including disclosures, fine print, etc.
- Prepare written memoranda and advise teams on applicable legislation, regulations, laws, rulings, and guidelines and provide strategic recommendations
- Analyze and track federal, state, and local legislation and laws and monitor same for changes that impact the business
- Manage projects to implement and improve department efficiency
- Facilitate Company collections process
- Assist with financial services examinations and work with regulators as necessary
- Manage outside counsel
- Available for ad hoc ‘Can we do this?’ questions from team
WHO YOU ARE
You’re an attorney looking to work for a start-up that’s going places. You like to solve tough problems. You look forward to working in a place where every day may not be the same and you may have to run in a number of different directions at the same time. You love that you have room to grow and succeed and appreciate that people aren’t always looking over your shoulder. You find that working across multiple disciplines and learning things on the fly to get things done keeps you interested in your job. You know when to take things seriously and when to have some fun. You also know how to concentrate when the sales team spontaneously breaks out into song while you’re trying to precisely word complex documents. While you’re not an expert on everything, you certainly like to know a little bit about a lot of things and love building up your expertise across subject matter areas.
StreetShares’s dedicated team is full of rock stars, all committed to a shared mission of not only doing well, but also doing right. We roll up our sleeves and get to work transforming the financial services market, even if some days we don’t technically wear sleeves. Innovative, focused, problem solvers abound and each day has the potential to tackle something new. Room to grow, own, contribute, and succeed are hallmarks of how we work together. There are few places to hide, but with a team that always has your back, you’ll never be alone. On top of that, chips and snacks are part of the company culture, and the beer fridge is (usually) stocked. We’ve got aggressive goals as a growing start-up and there’s no limit to what we can accomplish with the right people in place. It’s a mixture of fun, collaboration, and an opportunity to have a real impact on the small business lending market, all the while helping great veteran and main street businesses. If you’re someone who loves to get stuff done and thrives in fast paced environments then start a conversation with us. You may just be the person we're looking for.
- J.D. from ABA-accredited law school
- Bar membership in VA or ability to become licensed as a Corporate Counsel in VA
- Minimum 3 years of experience, preferably in banking, regulatory, commercial lending, or securities related settings
- In-house & start-up experience a plus
- You say what you mean, and know how to write what you say
- Project management skills a plus
- Skill/ability to work well across diverse teams
- Understanding of commercial lending laws and corresponding regulations like Reg B, ECOA, FCRA
- Securities experience a plus